Ginataang Mais (Rice and Corn with Coconut Milk) is a fave food in my country The Philippines. Ginataan (Coconut Milk) dishes are common and have lots of variation such as sweet and savory. This is a sweet coconut milk dish. In here we used rice with corn but you can also use red mongo beans (adzuki beans) and theres also Ginataang Sari Sari that has a lot of add-ons like banana, tapioca, yam and the sticky rice is in ball form. I know, too much info! This is a snack that my mother cooks for me. A favorite in our household. We usually add Jackfruit flesh in here to add to sweetness and smell. But again that's hard to find here.
I always wanted to do this dish but I don't know where to find glutinous rice. The main ingredient needed. I started doing Rice Pudding for my son and realized that its a bit the same. Not sticky enough but rice pudding rice has a good texture thick too. This is the first time for me to try it here and I am glad that it worked.
- 1 cup – coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups – water (adjust to your preference)
- 1/2 cup – rice pudding rice
- 4 cobettes – corn, cut
- 1/2 cup – granulated sugar
- Combine coconut milk, corn and rice in a cooking pot then turn on the heat.
- Once the coconut milk is boiling, stir the mixture to prevent the glutinous rice from sticking. Set the heat to low and let the rice cook stirring continuously. Adding about 1/2 cup of water every time the liquid is reduced. Do so till the rice is cooked.
- Put-in the sugar and stir thoroughly. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve and eat! Yummy!